Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Weirdness

I wasn't exactly tagged by Ashley, but I've been thinking about what my list would include and it was harder than I anticipated to come up with. Not that I have, I want to validate the days I've spent thinking about it, by posting 5+ weird things about myself that not many others know:

(1) I still do the grade-school "A-B-C" flipping of the can top when I finish my Diet Cokes. Remember, where you twist the stem of the apple or bend the can top back and forth to see what letter you end on, because it indicates who likes you. And if the letter is one you don't like, I always added the 2 bends it took to open the can to see if I like that letter any better. I don't pay as much attention to what letter I end on anymore, but I do still actually say the letters as I'm bending it off.

(2) Many women have an obsession with shoes, but mine is for socks. I don't wear normal, white socks. I get the fun socks with animals and patterns on them in all different colors and they make me happy. Kohl's has a great selection. I have my high school friend, Leigh Ann to thank for getting me into fun socks.

(3) I also have an obsession with Thank You cards. Some people go look at candles or something else whenever they go into a store. I look at the stationary and Thank Yous. I'm a big believer in writing Thank You notes, so at least I do use them, but I have way more on hand than I need at any one time!

(4) I am a major pack rat. I still have notes from middle school that we passed in class. I kept movie ticket stubs for a long time, but finally relinquished holding onto them. I keep a shoebox where I throw all of these things like invitations and cards and announcements. When it gets full, I get another one. So, I have closets full of shoe boxes full of "mementos" that one day I tell myself I'll go through. The advent of scrapbooking did not help my situation any!

(5) I am also very bent on keeping things in chronological order. Each shoebox basically represents a year or so and contains all sorts of things from that time period. Rather than having a box of all the cards I've ever gotten from Greg in one place, I'd have to go through multiple shoe boxes to dig them out. Photo albums are chronicling my life as well and it's hard for me to separate out life events from the "big picture." When I upload pictures from my camera to the computer it puts them into folders by date of when the pictures were taken. This really feeds my neurosis of needing to know dates and order and so I keep them separated out this way, instead of combining them into one big folder (at least representing a month, if not more) that would be easier to navigate. I also listen to new CD's in order. I rarely allow myself to skip songs, too. I think part of music is familiarity and if I skip and only play the songs I initially like, I'll never "learn" to like the other ones (not that that's always a bad thing).

(6) Despite this need for order, long ago, I programmed my brain to tap my fingers together in a weird order not just rap them in sequential order. This one is a little harder to explain, but instead of touching my thumb to my index finger, middle, ring and pinkie or tapping my fingers on a surface in that "normal" order, I worked really hard at skipping to every other finger and then starting over. So, I tap thumb to middle finger, pinkie, then index, then ring then back to middle. I can do this now just as fast on both hands. Much like teaching yourself to be able to flip your hair and tie it into a knot with one hand; that also takes a lot of mental concentration and practice.

(7) I cannot handle it when pens are lying around without caps. I just don't like thinking they are drying out! I am very particular about pens and like ones in multiple colors. I am always grabbing the pen off of Tyler or Kirby's desks and putting the top back on. Even when they were using the pen and have just laid it down for a brief period.

So, there you go. A little glimpse into some of my own personal weirdness. Feel free to share any of your own in the comments. Megan & Emily (& Daniel, if he wants) - I tag you to post about it!

1 comment:

ashley said...

I love the finger-tapping thing. It seems that you have a real personal order to things - like you're very particular about your world. I think, as you've pointed out before, that we all have a little OCD in us.